Servings: 1 8X4 loaf Pan
Source: Food 52
This charming loaf may look like a pound cake, and act like a pound cake—and travel well and make sweet gifts like a pound cake. But it’s quite a different little number, and thanks to a slew of hidden perks—it’s better.
7 to 8 ounces (200 to 225 grams) marzipan, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk or heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Jam, for serving
- Heat oven to 400° F. Line an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, allowing 1-inch wings to hang over the edges on the long sides.
- In a large bowl, toss together the marzipan and powdered sugar to coat. Add the chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and 2 tablespoons of the sugar and pulse to combine. Add the butter cubes and pulse until the butter is in the size of peas. Add this to the bowl with the marzipan. (Note: If you don’t have a food processor, you can cut the butter in quickly with your hands or a pastry blender.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk or cream, and the extracts and add to the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar and bake until deep golden brown on top and firm when you poke it with your finger, with no squishy give (indicating an undercooked middle). Begin checking for doneness at 40 minutes. If you want to be extra sure it’s done, an instant-read thermometer should read 205°F to 212°F (95°C to 100°C) in the middle.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Using the parchment wings, remove to the rack to cool completely. Slice with a serrated knife and serve with jam.